Thursday, November 22, 2007

It's never too late to do exercises





Couple still cycling at 72 and 92

Still cycling... at 72 Bert Brett is beating men half his age A pensioner who clocks up more than 250 miles a week cycling across the Brecon Beacons is proving it is never too late to take up exercise.
Bert Brett, 72, from Merthyr Tydfil, has been cycling for only 10 years, but he has sometimes beaten men half his age in time trials.
He will pick up his 10th consecutive trophy for being the fastest senior citizen in town on Saturday.
His wife Elsie, 92, keeps fit by using an exercise bike at their home.
Most days Mr Brett can be seen pedalling his way over the Brecon Beacons, on to Cardiff and then back home to Merthyr.
I walk about four miles a day and also do 150 press-ups twice a week
Bert Brett
A veteran of 13 time trials, and a member of Merthyr Cycling Club, he said age was not a barrier to fitness.
"I don't see age as much of a barrier. I sometime beat men in time trials who are half my age, but when we're out cycling we don't tend to dwell much on how old people are," said Mr Brett.
He will be 73 at the weekend, and put his success down to his genes, his diet and his lifestyle.
"I think my fellow cyclists admire me for racing at 73, but I still feel as though I'm 18 or 19 in my mind."

Wife Elsie, 92, confines her cycling to inside the home
"My mother lived until she was 90 so I think my genes have something to do with my fitness levels," he added.
"I don't smoke, I'm a vegetarian, I walk about four miles a day and also do 150 press-ups twice a week."
Meanwhile, Elsie, his wife, confines her cycling to an exercise bike in the couple's home but she said that helped keep her mobile.
He is to receive another trophy on Saturday for winning a time trial.

No comments: